Thursday, June 30, 2011

Sünner Kölsch


As anyone who knows me can attest, I am easily bored, even with the extreme. So this summer I'm making an effort to get to some of the more obscure beer styles, and I figured the Kolsch was as good a place to start as any.

Hazy at first due to a huge burst of bubbles that quickly clear to reveal a transparent brassy brew. Off-white head fades quickly but leaves some bubbles around the glass amongst a smattering of lace.

Grass and lemon to the nose with some sweet malt and spice at the end. Malts and fresh cut grass up front with another big squirt of lemon that is infused into a palate of various ripe fruits (green grapes, apples).

A bit deeper in body than expected, but still crisp where it counts. Smooth and easily downed, but I recommend you take your time and enjoy this one.

Damn fine summer drinking, and confirmation that in my zeal for the extreme I've completely missed some of the great beers of the world.

Kolsch

No comments:

Post a Comment