Saturday, July 16, 2011

Samson Original Czech Lager


OKC Summer Heat Wave Beer Festival 2011 continues, and yes, I'm still on a lager/pils kick, and have to admit, I have a soft spot for the lighter Czech beers.  Haven't seen this one in Oklahoma, so figured I would give it a shot.  I know most people feel lagers are pedestrian, and in many cases I agree, especially when we're talking about adjunct territory, but when I get a hold of a good one, it makes for such a great contrast to the bigger beers.  Lets see if this one can deliver the goods. 

The green bottle scares me, but I have an exploratory nature, and I've done my risk assessment, so here goes.  Not sure if I've already set this one up for failure in my mind, but I get a hint of skunk floating out of the bottle.  Off a medium pour a slight dirty white head rises and sticks for a few before leaving a miniscule batch of webbed lace behind.  A hazy yellow orange in color, and I see floaties; another bad omen, but I'm going to push ahead and see what lays in store.

Atypically sweet and vegetal to the nose with a thin vein of fruitiness and some green grass.  Tastes almost overly sweet and fruity with more near dominating vegetal notes, and say it ain't so, corn!  A little spice eventually seeps in.  Has a bit of hops at the very end.  Mouth-feel is medium and this beer is everything but sharp going down.  It doesn't necessarily hurt a lager to have a little creaminess, but that crisp and dry edge is what I'm looking for.  When all is said and done this one just doesn't coalesce.  Everything seems off, and I have a bit of a hard time finishing.         

Every style has its place, and average and even bad beers are not exclusive to any one style, so even though this one didn't really pay off, I'm gonna keep on keepin on in my search for the best of the best lagers and pils.  Stay tuned. 

Czech Pilsner

No comments:

Post a Comment