Sunday, August 7, 2011

Napa Smith Lost Dog

The fancy, noble looking Napa Smith labels have been staring at me for a few months, so I figured it was high time to give this new to Oklahoma brewery a shot.  Not sure why I've avoided Napa Smith brews far.  I wonder if it's that they might be too pedestrian in appearance?  I mean there's no satanic imagery, lusty provocation or end-of-the world artistry going on here.  Is it that there are just too damn many new but marginal breweries on the shelves these days?  Perhaps it's the fact that most of the styles of theirs I see are, let's say, less awe-inspiring as say a big phat ass hop-bomb with 356 IBU's and 25% ABV.

Who knows?  And I guess it doesn't really matter, because the proof is in the bomber, and there's only one way to find out if my reservations were unfounded.  Now I know exactly what you scumbags are thinking; time to go to Beer Advocate and find out it's overall rating, but that's the wrong answer!  It's time to buy the damn thing and drink it so you can decide for yourself. 

Swampy reddish brown with a strong tan head that melts slowly into a layer or rolling and undying froth.  A patchwork of lace streams down the glass as the brew lowers.

Has complex and inviting aromas of burnt sugar, caramel malts, spice, and sweet and sour fruits; all presented in a refined manner.  Upon a first taste a  big creamy middle is the most obvious characteristic of this brew that I notice.  Beyond that I get some expected caramel maltiness, a bit of grain, an earthy bitterness, and passion fruit covered with sugar.  The palate is not as excited as the nose on this one, and actually goes to bed crying like it lost it's puppy...oh, shit, I guess it did!

Medium bodied and open at the end, but with that noted creamy middle.  Smooth with a little grain edge going down.  A tiny alcohol heat is felt going down the throat.  Feels a bit watery at times, but nothing to weep about.

The Red Ale is a style that I really have to be in the mood to drink.  And while The Lost Dog is not its best representation, it is a fine beer that makes up in balance what it lacks in overall depth. 


Next up: IPA Day reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment