Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Round Or Two With The Choc Gose

I just want to say up front that I'm thankful to Choc for putting the pronunciation of this beer on the label, because I am the king of Belgian beer name butchering, and I need all the help I can get.  Perhaps breweries should start putting pronunciation guides on the labels like they do glassware suggestions, but then again, we don't want to dumb good beer down too much, because we sure have spent a lot of time making it so damn sophisticated. 

Uncorks with a promising pop and pours murky brown with golden hues threaded throughout.  The off-white head settles slowly.  Aroma is of fresh baked beer bread, a panoply of light fruits, coriander, and lemon.  Wow.  Salty as fuck to the tongue.  Going to let that element sink in a bit before I go back for another try.  Ok, here goes.  The second round reveals some more light fruits (apple and melon) and malt.  A lemony tartness moves in all aggressive like toward the end, slaps me around a little, and makes we wonder why I re-entered the ring.  Light to medium bodied and dry, which is according to style, but I'm still wondering if I'm in the wrong weight class.

Since this is the first Gose I've tried, I really don't have anything to compare it to.  I will say it seems to be in line with the style guide, and I have decided not to throw the towel in on the style, but I have to admit the bottling in a magnum demands sharing with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment