Sunday, October 2, 2011

Clown Shoes Tramp Stamp and Coporate Rock Still Sucks

With a name like Tramp Stamp you might think the Clown Shoes guys would be getting paid the corporate beer big bucks marketing Keystone Light or some other much less than kick ass hickoid beer, but you would be wrong.  They are bringing to the table no less than a Belgian Style IPA.  While not my favorite style by a long shot, from time to time I do enjoy the nuanced leaning the Belgian Style IPA tends to have as compared to the souped up American IPA. 
 
And yes, I have every right to call cheap beer out for what it is, because I grew up suffering the shit, and it's not my fault the aforementioned beer manufacturer uses a redneck to promote their beer, even if they are ironically trying to do so, which just makes it worse in my opinion.   

Ok, for now all beer politics aside, let's pop the cap on this interesting and lasciviously labeled beer so we can see what's under the hood.  No pun intended. 

Wait one second...did you say something about contract brewing?...Oh hell no, you're not luring me into that debate! 

Pours a murky reddish brown with diminutive orange hues at the light.  The off-white head looms large and fades with the patience of a Saint.  Wide sheets of lace are left behind. 

Earthy, oily hops strike the nose, followed by a slight fruitiness, some herbal notes, sweet butterscotch candy and distant roasted grain.  The big sweet malts are perfectly balanced with more big hops but leave plenty of room for some subtle citrus (orange and grapefruit), a slight sour twang, phenols and pine. 

Medium mouth-feel and creamy through and through.  Despite the boldness of each individual note, this one is a full on drinker due to the consummate fusion of all its elements. 

All thoughts about the politics of contract brewing and beer marketing are quickly pushed to the wayside because the character of this beer speaks for itself.  I consume a lot of different beers of varying styles, and I will admit my palate becomes jaded at times.  However, thanks to exceptional beers like this one, I know that lurking somewhere around the corner, when I might least expect it, a top shelf brew might be waiting.  That never ending search and payoff is one my favorite good beer qualities; one that keeps me coming back for more.

Goodby for now good friends.  I'm going to pour another glass of this sweet nectar and Jam the Fuck Econo.  Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment