Sunday, November 6, 2011

Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick...it's Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet!

Living in Oklahoma going on four decades has given me the opportunity to realize the best this state has to offer, as well as the worst this state has to offer.  The cost of living is so low that you could sink it in the middle of Lake Hefner and not see its peak, and the economic downturn has not been as disastrous here as in many other places.  On the other hand, the state of our health care system (mental health included) is abysmal, and despite being the buckle of the Bible belt, we have one of the highest divorce rates in the country.  We also suffer from an epidemic of political ignorance, a fact that is most apparent when you realize a majority of our population has been brainwashed into voting against its own interests (this political paradox and lack of education on issues only adds to the issue I am about to disccus regarding our archaic beer laws).

As far as entertainment goes, my beloved home OKC now has the Thunder, and an exciting restaurant scene is beginning to thrive (despite the efforts of ABLE) along with a growing entertainment district.  We have a number of good beer bars in the metro that really try to keep local beer geeks happy, but the more discerning and educated that group of geeks become, and the more that group grows, the more challenging it is going to be to keep them satiated, because let's just face the facts folks, Oklahoma's beer selection is abominable, bordering on embarrassing.  If it weren't for the local breweries that have come to the rescue in the last few years, this would definitley be a beer wasteland.   

You are probably wondering where I am going with all of this, and what got me on this soap box.  Well, today I am reviewing the last beer of my most recent Texas haul, and lamenting the fact that it is back to the waiting game for a new brewery to come in-state or an existing brewery to expand its offerings here if I want to experience something different.  Sometimes I think it could be worse, (can you say Alabama or Mississippi), but when I travel out of state it really brings home the fact of how Oklahoma's beer selection is stagnating, and one could easily argue, diminishing.  With those thoughts in mind I'm going to pop the cap on this ABA, hopefully thoroughly enjoy it, and leave all the BS behind for a bit.

Hoppy Feet has a big fluffy and airy tan head that dissipates slightly then chills in place with one finger of froth on top and a thick swath of lace left clinging.  Black in color with thin crimson edges at the light.  Smells of malts, some melon, herbal hops, and a distant mintiness.  Tastes a bit grainy and sweet with more melon goodnees (quite subdued), distant black licorice sweetness, and oily hops.  Mouth-feel is medium and thinner than expected but not to the point of weakness.  Dry and slightly rough going down but drinkability does not suffer.  Not the best ABA I've tried, but a damn fine example that I would revisit often if it were readily available. 

Well I guess it could all be worse. I could be content to sit back, maybe watch a little Mork and Mindy on channel 57, maybe kick back a cool Coors 16-ouncer, but I'm stoked that I've developed a taste for the good stuff and this one is making me realize how a good brew can really change perceptions to the positive.

The El Cucuy is back on the scene and chilling in the fridge, keeping a magnum of Boulevard Nommo company... but not for long, and I'm realizing that just because the beer selection here sucks, it could always be worse, and we should be thankful for what we have.

....That being said, don't become overly content because trouble is just around the bend as I'm getting word that Sally Kern has found the true reason behind this weekend's earthquakes.  There is definitely something wrong with the soil, and it sure ain't fracking!  





No comments:

Post a Comment